Monday, June 7, 2010

Confessions of a Readaholic

Okay, so I'll admit that I like to read and I like to read a lot. My childhood wasn't the best and I read to escape a lot of the unpleasantness of it. Enough said. So I guess that's why I love my job as a school librarian. It's hard for me to imagine that so many kids today don't like to read. Go figure. Or maybe they say that because reading isn't cool and associated with all things nerd or well I have my beliefs on what the other reasons are. Reading helped me to realize that there were others worse off than myself and that I could escape the circumstances of my childhood. I didn't need to repeat the offenses of it. So there I've admitted everything. I love to read, but my darkest secret is that I love to read children's literature. Not because my reading level is so low but because it's great stuff.
I started reading to my oldest child before he could even sit up or crawl. I would lie on the floor beside him and hold the book above us while I read. I couldn't wait to introduce my favorite world, the written word, to him. I've read to him ever since.
Even today we still read together because it's fun to share a novel together, to discuss and have someone to share it with. We still like a lot of the same kind of literature. When my youngest came along, we continued to read together while I would nurse her. So she too got a very early introduction to the written word. They both love to read. Tina, like me, would rather read to herself than be read to. I love to read aloud to others but not be read to. Go figure. Books of all kinds have found a home in our house.
So I'd like to introduce a book that I've come to really like and can't wait for the third book to come out. Hence the clock that is counting down at the top of my blog. If you get a chance this summer read this series. It's awesome, especially if you like dystopia fiction. The movie rights have been bought and I can't wait or maybe I can because I already have these characters so firmly etched in my mind as to what they look like. I haven't decided totally who I would want to play the two leading characters, but Bruce Willis gets my vote for  the alcoholic, cantankerous Haymitch. He'd be perfect at it. Hunger Games and Catching Fire are awesome. If you're having a hard time to get  your middle school children to read, suggest this series. Even my reluctant readers were hooked by this one. 
Now we did have a great time at Yosemite and the quilts went over really well, so I'll be back to posting regularly I hope now that school is out for the summer. Also I hope to have more time to visit and leave comments.
{{HUGS}} Amanda

No comments: