Monday, April 4, 2011

A bookcase and a Few Little Projects

So last week was amazing, even with the bad news about my knee. The carpenter was home! and he did a project for me because I needed him to do that. I had this really long shelf in the office and it came crashing down prior to his homecoming. I wasn't about to try to put it back up. Fortunately only one thing got broken, but now I needed a spot for all those books I'm just not ready to part with yet. So happy dance he made his mom a bookcase. As par for the course you'll get a picture in it's half finished state. Also finished a few little projects for the kids apartment.
Finished up these letters for their kitchen. Finally!
I got the little shelf and mirror at my favorite thrift store. Both pieces were $1.91 each. Not bad. They just need some fine tuning.
 This stuff is awesome. I want to thank Centsational Girl for mentioning this in a blog post. Love it. Won't work without it again. Got mine at Lowe's. It makes painting with a brush really easy. If you haven't read her blog she's amazing. Go check her out. Floetrol (for latex paint) by Flood.
 Here they are with their final coat. It was black tea by Dutch Boy I believe. Usually I'm a Valspar gal, but this paint is cheaper and it fits my budget right now. Two in college can drain the pocket book fast.
I also picked up this candlestick for their apartment. Just needed some cleaning. Can't beat $.90. The tag on the bottom said $24.99 from Kohls. Thanks but I'll take the price I paid.
Last but not least the carpenter and the bookcase. Gotta love this boy. He's an awesome son. Of course I'm completely biased. Bookcase pattern courtesy of Ana White. Another amazing site.
Love the morning sun coming through the door. Amazing.... So now I have to decide whether I want a back on it or not. I'm leaning towards completing the back with 1x3s. Then I will paint it. Probably during spring break because the next several weeks at work are crazy busy and it's supposed to rain again this weekend. Go figure. Everyone have a topnotch week.
Mucho hugs to all,
Amanda
Linking to

3 comments:

My Cottage Charm said...

Hey Amanda! :) Thanks for linking up your fab new bookcase..your son is a keeper! lol You must have a great thrift shop...our stuff is MUCH higher than what you're paying. That candle holder would be $3.75 at our Goodwill...they are not cheap here! Of course, you didn't say Goodwill, so maybe you have a much better bargain hunting place than me! lol
Hope you have a very blessed day my sweet friend!
Hugs
Missy

Fishtail Cottage said...

love your bookcase! & all the other fantastic finds you shared! xoxo, tracie

afistfullofweeds* said...

Loving all of your great bargins!! They should keep you busy for a while!!