Monday, April 6, 2009

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

First you need a #10 cast iron skillet. Add 1/4 cup butter and 2/3 cup brown sugar. Allow the butter to melt and the sugar to mix in.

Then add a large can of drained crushed pineapple. Mix into butter/brown sugar mixture and level out the whole mixture.
Then add pineapple slices with maraschino cherries.

This is the part where I cheat. I just use a boxed yellow cake mix done according to the package directions and pour over the pineapple mixture. You could make a yellow cake from scratch and it would be just as good. I don't usually use a boxed cake mix but this is one time I do. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before turning out of pan onto a large plate.

I use a large glass cake plate that I have. I then invert it onto the plate.

Of course be careful because it's very hot. This makes the best pineapple upside down cake.

Enjoy.
Some of you might be familiar with Mary Jane's magazine and farm, but if you're not then head over to her site for some wonderful advice on just about everything. The last issue of the magazine had a fantastic article on cast iron and some recipes I can't wait to try. I would also bet that this pineapple upside down cake would work just fine in a camp dutch oven. If you're not familiar with camp dutch ovens then check out Lodge. They'll get you started. I love my cast iron and I've had several pieces for many, many years.

Have a great day. Hugs, Amanda

3 comments:

Becca said...

Yum, Amanda! That looks good. I can imagine the golden, sugarey smell...hmmmmm I like your blog bookcase - it inspired me to add a little book widget on mine. Very cool idea for bookworms like us! Tonight I enjoyed looking at some of your previous blogs - Tina's room redo (beautiful) The linen closet redo--Wow, you have really done some great makeovers - It is great to see Seth's talent, too. (And I know Tina's talents) Thanks for the great blog - It is so relaxing to see the transformations that you work! (Sorry your back is giving you fits... hope it is feeling good again, soon) Hearts, Becca

Anonymous said...

Oh my words this looks awesome. Do you mind if I borrow your recipe? My husband and son would love this recipe as would I. Fabulous.

Rue said...

Hi Amanda :)

That looks absolutely delicious!!

I hope you and your family have a wonderful Easter :)

rue