Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Mom's Open House

Here's a picture of the table set up that we did for Mom's Open House. We chose to do an open house as opposed to a funeral. Mom was a simple person and would have liked this format we did. I served a finger food buffet in the kitchen. Friends and Family came and went between 1 and 8 p.m. I pushed the dining room table against the opposite wall and put her quilt on it as a table cloth. My brother and I then went through pictures to pull out ones that we felt best represented her life. I typed up a brief eulogy of her life and then we put flowers, candles and her favorite turtle statue on the table. We'll do a ceremony this summer when we spread her ashes at the meadow. She's been a wonderful addition to our life for the last 4+ years. It was our privilege to take care of her for the last years of her life. I know she felt like she was a burden to us, but she wasn't. We miss out on a lot of blessings in life when we don't take care of the older generation. Mom was a big help to us the first several years when she was able health wise to help out. She's greatly missed already.
Love, Amanda

3 comments:

JudyL said...

I would love for my family to have an Open House like you did vs. a traditional funeral when I'm gone. That seems so much more "friendly" than the normal funeral. Of course, I didn't know your mom but I'm thinking she would have been thrilled with the choice you all made.

CONNIE W said...

A very touching post. Your mom is just a few years younger than I and the hairstyle reminds me of our high school yearbooks. I love the photo of her receiving her quilt...the joy on her face is wonderful. Hugs, Connie W

Thrifty Miss Priss said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. My father passed away at the end of December while my mom was hospitalized in another facility. It has been very trying. I love this idea of the open house, it allowed her friends and family to really reflect on her life.